October 20, 2010

I'm in a blogging state of mind

Blogging saved me during my pregnancy.  Before I got pregnant I didn't even know what a blog was.  My friend Vicky tried to get me hooked on them, but I didn't take the bait.  
I found out I was pregnant while living in Italy.  I was scheduled to return home July 20.  I took a pregnancy test June 22.  I got pregnant approximately May 20.  Stefano's birthday weekend.  Happy Birthday daddy.  
My parents learned they would be grandparents via phone conversation.  My friends learned when I got back home.  A crazy time this was.  An emotionally funny moment in life.  A moment I will never, ever forget.
So at about 8 weeks pregnant I was leaving my boyfriend and soon-to-be-father-of-my-child and hopping on a plane home to Canada.  
Emotional.
One day I will have to do a post on how Stefano and I met... and more importantly (and funny) how we found out we were pregnant. .... but for now... I'm going waaaay off topic.  So let's hop back on. 
Blogs:
As soon as I came back from Italy I was googling everything and anything baby. My pre-pregnancy life as I knew it was o-ver.  I went from looking at online fashion and gossip, to looking at cloth diapers and cribs.  I became obsesssssssssed with researching every possible negative thing that could happen to me or my unborn child.  Every disease, complication, defect.... every, every, every -thing.  
I needed help.  
One day I stumbled upon TopBabyBlogs.com --- it probably wasn't even a stumble... more like a crash of thank-the-lord fate.  It saved me... from myself.  I found the most amazing women and men bloggers writing all about their experiences of pregnancy, child birth and parenting. I fell in love with these people and their blogs -- in secrecy. I didn't actually join blogger -- I just saved the blogs in my favourites and continued to go back daily to feed my addiction.  A healthy addiction (Stefano would highly disagree with that statement!!!).  Eventually I became a fan of so many blogs I decided to start using Google Reader. Wow. So fantastic.  I still use it.  It's my homepage =)
Then I began thinking "hey, why don't I start a blog? Stefano's family and friends all live in Italy... it could be a nice way to keep in touch and allow them to see photos and videos of Seba regularly.  At this time I wrote an email to my blog-addicts-anonymous-friend Vicky:



From: Lisa Boyce 
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 9:12 AM
To: Vicky Brahos
Subject: RE: i love this blog...

Is it too late for me to start a pregnancy blog?









From: Vicky Brahos 
Sent: October 23, 2009 10:01 AM
To: Lisa Boyce
Subject: RE: i love this blog...

Never too late…..you can always blog earlier posts – from the beginning as you would have been writing them.

Then you can blog about being knocked up at 30 – and being a new mother for the first time.

That would be cute!


vicks


And So I started a blog.   I wrote one or two posts and then I stopped. Tired. Lazy. Too busy reading other blogs. Pregnant. Snoring. Sleeping. Sick. I have excuses.  It just wasn't the right time.  After a few months and a labour of love... Stinky was born.  Months passed again.  We went to Italy for Seba's baptism and came back.  Then, with some pushing from Stefano,  my desire to blog came back. Stronger.  
After spending 4 months with Seba -- learning about him, learning about me... I was ready to share my experiences and I felt good about it.  And so went the beginning of our little spot on the worldwide web.  I'm glad we came back.  
Now my addiction to reading blogs has been shifted to my addiction to writing,  sharing and showing... all things Seba... with you.  
I love my son. I love my boyfriend. I love my family, my house, my life, my friends, my everything. I love blogging about the people and things that I love. I love using this blog as a window to my heart. -- No matter how much of a grouchy, difficult, or bad moment I am having... once I sit down to write and show photos of everything in my life, I am instantly reminded of how lucky I am... of how much love is in and around me.  
This is what TopBabyBlogs is all about.  It's not a competition.  You win no prizes, no money, no gifts, no metals.  Voting for your favourite blogs just helps them get on the website and stay there.  It places them in a rank on the site and helps other people find them (like I did a year ago).  The more votes you get, the closer you come to being on the first page of blogs.  
Voting is easy.  You  just click on this button:


Top Baby, Daddy & Mommy Blogs on TopBabyBlogs.Com

And then when you arrive at the new screen you click again to "cast your vote". That's it. Two clicks and a life time of happiness.  Hah...okay, that was a little extreme...but you get the point =)


It's sad that we tend to mainly look at the first 25 to 50 blogs that are on the first two pages.. but really, I don't like to sift through pages upon pages --- cause someone like me can end up spending an entire day doing this.  Heh.  Acutally someone like me has spent an entire day doing this... but I found some of my favourite blogs on those last few pages.
I vote for several blogs. I don't have a favourite.  Every blog I read appeals to some different aspect of myself.  Some are funny, some are serious, some are informative, some are just lovely and bring tears to my eyes with every word.  
And so if you like reading my blog, if I am in some little way affecting, entertaining or helping you (even if it's just helping you pass through your day) -- or maybe you don't like me, but you just looooove the stinkster -- send a vote our way --- it would make us happier than happy --- it really would --- and who doesn't love making someone happy?  


Here are some snapshots of what makes me happy:





















"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss
(my adopted blogging motto)

3 comments:

  1. Okay - that was cute. Damn cute. love this post. you make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is wonderful. i voted for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have fallen in love with the blogging world. even though i'm a late blogger. i wish i would have started when i was pregnant.
    but like your friend Vicky said, never too late.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...