November 9, 2010

Agnolotti di Zucca con soffritto
(Butternut Squash Ravioli-ish pasta in a yummy sauce!)


Ok. This is soooo good. Sooo goood.  This sauce is the way Stefano won my heart.  You know how they say "the way to a man's heart is through his stomach?"  Well... this also applies to some women --> me.  We went to eat at this restaurant on top of a hill where everything is made fresh from homegrown produce.  Tortelli. Damn good.  They brought us the 'tortelli tris' which was a platter of three different types of tortelli (potato, spinach & herbs, and my favourite:butternut squash). When I think about this dinner, I salivate like Pavlov's dog at the ring of the bell.   I must make this dish. I must make this dish. I must make this dish. 
I knew the basic ingredients.. so this is how I put it together (I'm not sure if this is the proper way to make it... but it tasted pretty damn close):


4 people
Preparation: 15’
Cooking Time: 3hrs
Difficulty: 1

·        6 cloves of garlic chopped
·        ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
·        1 large Spanish onion
·        Lard: I just cut the fat off three pieces of pancetta
·        1 teaspoon tomato paste
·        1 cup white wine
·        500g tortelli
Next time I will attempt to make tortelli from scratch because the store bought agnolotti, no matter how much they claim to be ‘homemade,’ just didn't cut it!


First off, the key to this sauce is that the heat is super-low.  I used my crêpe pan as a diffuser between the burner and my saucepan. The ingredients should never brown or burn... they should simmer and liquefy.

Ok... so start by heating the oil on low heat. Once the oil is hot dump the onions in
As the onions begin to soften throw in the pancetta fat, the garlic, and the tomato paste
Sauté for about ½ hour and then add the white wine, salt and pepper
Now it’s just a waiting game. Let the mixture cook on low for about 2 hours, keeping an eye that the temperature is just right and nothing burns (constantly stirring)
After 2 hours, you turn off the heat and let it cool
Once cooled, take the mixture and blend it (I used the magic bullet – which worked perfectly)
Throw the blended sauce back in the saucepan and keep on low heat.
That’s it! The best sauce ever-known-to-mankind is ready to be served with any and everything.  It’s really yummy with any stuffed pastas.  I read once that you can also use it to stuff poultry and beef.



Lisa: i'm full
Stefano: heh heh that's what i was waiting for!
Lisa: so much for not getting fat
Stefano: i looked at my reflection in the backdoor and thought 'if i am to become fat eating this, i don't give a s*$#!! I can say I am fat but it's worth it!!


PS. the stinkster is still sick. i think he might be finally teething. for real this time. stay tuned.


Can ya spare a few clicks? Thanks!
Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

1 comment:

  1. Looks Amazing! I have to try it!! Did I miss something though?? When do you add the tomato paste?

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...